Wells National Estuarine 
Research  Reserve at Laudholm
      Around the Farm Property
HOME PAGEUnique_Maine_Farms.html

The water tower was built in 1905.  It stored water for the livestock.  It was fed by a hydraulic ram and electric pumps.  Water from the Merriland River (near the bridge on Skinner Mill Road) filled the tank.  Water flowed through an intake pipe, pushed by the river current and assisted by electric pumps at each one-way valve. As the central column filled, gravity pulled the water in it down, pushing the valves closed and preventing the water from escaping back towards the river. Water flowed through the holding tank through a system of pipes directly into the animals’ drinking bowls.

The gazebo/ well house was constructed in 1881. It is often used as a meeting place or as a shaded spot to sit and relax. It fell into disrepair and was lovingly restored by Lang Construction and Renovation

in 2011.

Nathaniel Lord shared that the European beech tree at the Wells Reserve was planted by his father, George Lord II, probably around 1915, because his father knew that with its low branches it would make an ideal tree for climbing.

Return to WNERR at Laudholm’s
Home PageLaudhlom_Farm.html

The former Milk House at Laudholm Farm is the home of the Adams-Nunnemacher Research Lab.  Milk from the Guernsey heard was bottled and stored here.  There was a wooden icebox that spanned from the floor to the ceiling.  The coal-fired boiler in the Milk House produced steam and hot water for heating and cleaning.  There were large tubs for the electric-powered brushes that enabled the bottles to be cleaned.

The ice house was built in 1905.  It had double walls for insulation.  The ice was preserved in sawdust.  Ice came from the pond by the old mill dam in the Merriland River at Lord Road.